On 08/03/2008, Adam J Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The-IRC Hosting Administration Team wrote:
>  > There is nothing wrong with obtaining the source code of 7.X and doing a
>  > full recompile to upgrade your version sanely.
>

> Ah, really? Good news. I heard somewhere there were problems upgrading
>  like that across a major version boundary. Or was it to a BETA? That
>  might have been it.

AFIK, that was 4.x -> 5/6
OR
Ports, which are bound to be a problem across
major versions.*
Also, 8.x has a recent change which prevents
easy upgrading from early versions of 5/6(/7?).

In any case, I had no problems upgrading to 7 via
normal methods as outlined in /usr/src/UPDATING
for two machines running 6.x

* literally everything explodes and your fish dies.