On Mar 17, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

Hello

I'm setting up a squid cache (3.0.2) machine FreeBSD 7.0 based and I wonder if softupdates could help (make it faster ) or not the cache partition ?

I can't imagine that it would hurt. Last I looked though squid may not be the best tool for this job. Poul Henning-Kamp has written an http accelerator called varnish.

I'll start by saying that implementing varnish is on list of things to do so my experience is purely anecdotal. No that I've said that, the feature that grabbed my attention was the fact that it's written to modern unix. If I understand what I read correctly this means that varnish eschews squids separation of the cache into a fast cache in memory and a slow cache on disk. Instead varnish uses a big memory mapped file allowing the operating system to manage which cache objects are in memory and which ones are on disk. On FreeBSD at least that would seem to me to be a bigger performance win than softupdates.

-- Chris