>  Even if it doesn't help you, it will provide details that you can post
>  with your question so that people can help you more effectively.

True. In the meantime, I've started reading the temperature sensors
with freeipmi and graphing them with munin. On a side note, the
hardware in question is Dell Poweredge 1750 and I've found following
two threads which might be related:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-smp/2005-November/001016.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-November/019932.html

Even if not the same as the problem at hand, it shows that Dell has
stability issues with running FreeBSD, not to mention that there are
no hw.acpi.thermal.* knobs whatsoever in sysctl output on this
machine.

Regards,
--
Nino