Warren Block wrote:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Frank Wi?mann wrote:

Hope there's somebody out there who can help me with the following problem: When I type "startx" as root all is coming up as expected, the X-Server and twm as WM. When I stop it, log in as a normal user and do the same there is only a grey screen with a mouse-cursor coming up and doing nothing until I kill the X-Server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. On the original screen from which I tried to start is shown the following error message:

AUDIT: Thu Apr 3 20:34:48 2008 836 X: client 1 rejected from localhost (uid 1001)
Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

.xinitrc and .xsession both have the same contens "exec startxfce4" and the permissions "rwxr-xr-x".

Any thoughts please?

My user .xsession is:

#!/bin/sh

# WB: allow other user to use X on localhost
xhost +localhost

exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

There sure must be a problem with permissions. I can start the X-Server as "root" and execute "startxfce4" and it works fine, but there is no WM as a user. Where do I have to look?

Greetings Frank