Wojciech Puchar wrote:
would like at least a Core2Duo CPU, but would consider Xeon (single or dual CPU boards are fine).

The server will be for file storage and general services like email, apache, etc. Not a ton of volume for either

so why at least core2duo. for your case 50$ used computer (possibly with larger disk) is enough.

I plan to use a 3-Ware or Areca controller (4 port). Does one of those work better than the other? I have had pretty good luck with some 3-Ware cards so

no special controller works best.

I'd like a C2D to allow for future growth and the fact that it will be serving files for several people on my home network not to mention the other services on it.

Why do you think no special controller works best? If that was the case, why would they even make hardware based RAID cards, or RAID cards at all? I have a solid backup plan in place, but why risk downtime when solutions are available?