I'd like a C2D to allow for future growth and the fact that it will be serving files for several people on my home network not to mention the other services on it.

buying computers for future needs is nonsense - as their prices fall all the time.

not mentioning that file serving isn't CPU intensive.

Why do you think no special controller works best? If that was the case, why

i don't just think. i'm sure. use gmirror/gstripe/gconcat/combination of them to get best performance. make sure to set -s 1048576 at least in gmirror, and huge stripes (like 512MB) in gstripe.

would they even make hardware based RAID cards, or RAID cards at all? I have

because there are people like you willing to pay for them :)