--On April 20, 2008 7:13:19 PM -0700 Jerry Rukavina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I can’t find any out of the box computers that have FreeBSD loaded. Do
you know which computer manufactures, both laptop and desktop, which can
run FreeBSD? Do you recommend any particular models or know of which
ones are more highly regarded? What about support? I am a newbie and
would need some handholding. I will be using the computer to run a small
business and online research. I would need the regular suite of
productivity tools, hopefully an open source. I would like to punt MS.
Thanks.

FreeBSD, like all open source systems (that I know of), publishes a hardware compatibility list [1] that you can consult to see if the hardware you intend to purchase is supported. In general, most major manufacturers' systems will work fine, although the newest systems can sometimes be problematic.

The reality is, hardware manufacturers develop their drivers for Windows first. Linux usually has good coverage because they have a large user and developer base. So, sometimes, you have to use Windows or Linux drivers to get some specialized piece of hardware to work.

One thing you might consider is getting a Freesbie CD [2] and using it to test various hardware systems at a local retail outlet. That would at least give you some comfort of knowing which hardware pieces work well and which might be problematic.

[1] <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html>
[2] <http://www.freesbie.org/>

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Senior Information Security Analyst