I am attempting to compile Perl 5.8.8 on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. I make it through the configuration just fine, but when I attempt to run the make command, I receive the following error message. I am creating a custom install. The only parameter I am changing is the installation location.

make: don't know how to make <command-line>. Stop.

I have run make depend, and it finishes without any problems.

I'm sure this is something simple I am missing because I have been looking at the problem for so long.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jay