On Friday 02 May 2008 07:20:30 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will appreciate your advice about how to best handle stale
> dependencies. Today I wanted to upgrade phpMyAdmin and I got a number of
> questions about stale dependencies. I eventually deleted all of them,
> but does this mean I need to upgrade ports which used this dependency
> (mailgraph-1.14_1, netpbm-10.26.52, p5-FuzzyOcr-devel-3.4.2_1,
> php5-gd-5.2.5_1, and rrdtool-1.2.26)?
>
> Stale dependency: mailgraph-1.14_1 -> png-1.2.27 (graphics/png):
> Delete this? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]
> Deleted.

Something went wrong earlier on, and portupgrade screwed up. It tried to
upgrade png, got as far as uninstalling it, failed to install it and then
failed to restore the backup and for some reason also thinks that rrdtool
does not depend on graphics/png, while it does, unconditionally.
Best thing to do when you see pkgdb mentioning "stale dependencies" is hit
ctrl-c hard, fast and often. Then scroll up to see what it did wrong and try
to figure out how to correct it's mess.

What is at present the png version installed on your system and could you show
the output of:
grep 'DEPORIGIN: graphics/png' /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.