Nishita Desai wrote:
Hello,

I just installed Xfce4.4 on FreeBSD 7.0. I have been trying to get it
to directly give me a graphical login. The Xfce manual says this can
be done using gdm. According to it, I need to copy the example file
"xfce44.desktop" into /usr/X11R6/share/xsessions. The example file is
supposed to be located in /usr/local/share/examples (since Xfce is
installed in /usr/local.) But there is no such file.

1. Is there any other location this file could be? (`locate` cannot find it.)
2. Can I download it from somewhere? Googling did not give anything.
3. Will anyone be kind enough to send me a copy by email?

It is strange why the file's not there. Xfce was installed using
pkg_add (the port was giving some error in compilation which I could
not solve) and is working nicely without any obvious problems.

Thanks,
Nishita.

As an Xfce user, I've always found gdm to be more trouble than it's worth. Have you had a look at /usr/ports/x11/slim - it's a nice, lightweight graphical login manager.

frase