On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:51:26PM +0200, Zbigniew Komarnicki wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I decide to go on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Before I used 6.3-RELEASE.
> But now I cannot get working Xorg. I almost get the kernel panic.
> I install fresh 7.0-RELEASE and update ports by portsnam and everything
> compiled by ports system. After instalign 'xorg' ports I do the following
> steps as root:

How *exactly* did you upgrade your ports? Sometimes old libraries hang
around causing trouble.

> Xorg -configure
> X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

Why would you do that? If you haven't changed the hardware, there is no
need to change xorg.conf.

> and I got black monitor and after few seconds the system reboots.
> Then I go to single user and do

Check the X logfile (/var/log/Xorg.0.log). Any clues in there?

> savecore: reboot after panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: e56e8000
> savecore: writing core to vmcore.2

This can also help you debug. Load it up in the kernel debugger;

  kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols vmcore.2

Then inside the debugger, give the 'bt' command.

> and then I examine the file "xorg.conf.org" (I attached the file) and I saw
> that I have there the following line:
> Driver      "radeon"
>
> In FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE I had there
> Driver      "ati"
> so I change it to "ati" and do
>
> X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
>
> but with no result - kernel panic again.
>
> What going on here?

What kind of graphics card do you have? What does 'pciconf -lv' say?

Roland