On Mon, 19 May 2008 18:17:32 -0500, "Montag" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got Postfix SMTP server set up on a FreeBSD 7 box.  I'm receiving
> mail just fine, and I can send mail to my other web accounts (gmail),
> but my mail is getting rejected from the mailing lists.  Here is the
> output from the local mail queue:
>
> host mx1.free.bsd.org said: my.mywebsite.com: Helo command rejected:
> Host not found (in reply to RCPT TO command))
> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> Any thoughts?  I typed "sendmail -bp" to print that, which is curious,
> because I'm pretty sure sendmail is not running; Postfix should be
> handling everything.

You have misspelled the hostname `mx1.freebsd.org'.

Did you, by any chance, also edit the hostname of the error message?
Are you _really_ the owner of `my.mywebsite.com' or is this just
something you manually wrote when copying the error?

If you manually modified the original error, to hide the domain name,
we have to `guess' why the mx1.freebsd.org host fails to resolve your
hostname.  Please show us the real hostname, and then we may be able to
help you more effectively.

On Mon, 19 May 2008 21:03:00 -0500, Paul Schmehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --On May 19, 2008 6:07:53 PM -0700 Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Many mailservers check that the HELO/EHLO response is a valid
>> hostname.  You can either configure your machine to use a valid
>> hostname (consider dyndns.org or similar, if you like), or you can
>> relay your email to something like your ISP's mailserver using
>> relayhost parameter or the transport mechanism....
>
> I'm not sure what the point of that is:
>
> Macintosh:~ pauls$ dig +short my.mywebsite.com
> 208.87.33.150
> Macintosh:~ pauls$ dig +short -x 208.87.33.150
> my.mywebsite.com.
>
> The site resolves both forward and reverse.  So valid hostname is not
> the problem.

It may not be the *real* site we are talking about though.