On Thursday 13 February 2003 14:14, Sam Izzo wrote:
> I haven't tried that patch.  I'm currently running 4.7-RELEASE, and I can't
> get any sound out of my rear speakers.  What are you running/what have you
> done?

Nothing yet... just using the regular PCM driver from 4.7-STABLE. I don't
think there's anything more to do... except buying the OSS drivers from
Opensound but this is something I will not do.

> the gist of it is that most sblive cards use a codec that doesn't support
> tone controls, and under Windows, tone controls are implemented using
> filters via the dsp (ack! sounds like a roundabout way to do it..) and that
> "this will not be supported under freebsd for some time" (that was written
> on 30 dec. 2001).

Well, it is possible under Linux with the emu-tools:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1
I am unfortunately not a developer, so I don't know how hard it wood be to use
or port the Linux emu10k1+emu-tools under xBSD... but I am ready to help, if
I can do anything.

> I might be interested in spearheading improvements in the sblive/other
> sound card drivers if Cameron Grant isn't around anymore.  However I only
> just installed FreeBSD about a week ago so it'd take me a while to get up
> to scratch with how everything is implemented.  Previously I was using
> Slackware Linux, so I'm not a total newbie but I have no kernel hacking
> experience whatsoever.

Same for me... I've been using FreeBSD for not very long (coming from Debian)
and I love it so much on my servers that I would like my FreeBSD workstation
behaves as well.

Maybe we should move this discussion over to
> -multimedia?

Sure...
I'm going to subscribe to -multimedia right away.

Cheers.

Antoine