dhaneshk k wrote:

 people :      I am facing a  issue , in my FreeBSD server box   the   /var
(85 %  now)  directory is going to full , no space left in this  disk anymore .

But I have another disk in my box which is of 140 GB fresh disk , this I have to add so I gone through the FreeBSD hand book of adding a new disk .

  According to docs  I  sliced and partitioned the second disk ,

 one doubt  :  here I created  10GB  bsd partition  in the second disk  ,

I have to assign o assign this for /var (in my first disk /var is going to full)

Q1 ) so in /etc/fstab , the mount point what I have to specify ? /var itself or I need to create a directory (mkdir /myspace ) and add it as the mount point in /etc/fstab ? like this

    /dev/da1s1e    /myspace       ufs      rw      2     2

OR /dev/da1s1e /var ufs rw 2 2

which one is correct  ?

and after this editing of  /etc/fstab   and restarting of the machine .

Q 2 ) my serverbox how it will continue to use the newly added space ? for this I have to do any thing

some one told me that I have to copy all the contents of the /var of first disk to this newly added space
is it right ?

how to do that

Q3 ) dd /dev/da0s1d /dev/da1s1/e right ? (to copy the content from /var (/dev/da0s1d) of the first disk to the newly added space for var on the second disk (/dev/da1s1e )

Q4 ) Is it needed to install all the applications which already installed in the /var of the first disk to the newly added space on the second disk?

please give your tips and advice to achieve what I am trying to do. Many of you may have done this before please help with your comments

Thanks in advance for all of you Dhanesh

You will have to do something like the following:

- Mount the new partition to a temporary mount point (like /mnt) i.e.:

mount /dev/da1s1e   /mnt

- Copy all the contents from /var to /mnt. Since /var is in use in a running system, the results maybe less than optimal. I suggest you switch to single user mode for doing this:

shutdown now

Use something like the following to transfer the files and permissions:

tar cfC - /var . | tar xpfC - /mnt

(thank you M.W. Lucas!)

Now, unmount /var and /mnt and mount your new var:

umount   /var   /mnt
mount -o rw /dev/da1s1e  /var

Edit /etc/fstab and update it for the new disk:

/dev/da1s1e      /var       ufs      rw     2    2

either exit to multi user mode or reboot. Of course, check that the files were actually copied to their right places first!