On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:56:56AM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >     After a long time, I've got phpbb configured into mysql.
> >     I've downloaded phpBB2 and installed it.  My notes from
> >     2003 fail here; it may be because my apache-2 isn't configured.
>
> What notes?  [ ... ]

Appended are my original notes.

> --
> Sahil Tandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

STAGE 1

/*
 * mysql instruuctions
 */

STAGE 2 -- APACHE

# cd /usr/ports/www/apache13/ && make install clean

***downloads and installs apache***

STAGE 3 -- MOD_PHP4

# cd /usr/ports/lang/php4/ && make install clean

list of things i enable for php:
        GD2 bzip2 cracklib mcrypt mhash pdflib IMAP GDBM OpenSSL SNMP XML FTP
CURL gettext iconv recode pspell BCMath mcve sockets

        zlib and MySQL should already be selected, but DEFINITELY select them if
they are not.  One probably doesn't need any of the above options to run
phpBB...  I just like this set in case I use php for other things in the
future.

        because we enabled snmp it stops to asks some questions while compiling
those libraries.  i just took the defaults without deviation...

***downloads and installs mod_php4***

STAGE 4 -- PHPBB

# cd /usr/ports/www/phpbb/ && make install

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start
 apache#

open browser now and point to "http://localhost/phpBB2/";

fill in the following values according to the db we set up earlier:
Database Server Hostname / DSN:  localhost
Your Database Name:  phpbb
Database Username:  phpbb_user
Database Password:  XXXXXXXXX (starred out, of course) // was "bbuser"
Admin Email Address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Domain Name:  hostname.real.address (if you do not have a valid dns name,
                it is very important that you use your IP address here
                instead of a fake DNS entry.  phpBB creates it's page links
                dynamically with the value you enter here.
Server Port:  80
Script path:  /phpBB2/
Administrator Username:  Administrator
Administrator Password:  adminpass  (starred out again...)
Administrator Password [ Confirm ]:  adminpass

click "Submit" and on the next page click "Finish"

then back to the console...

# cd /usr/local/www/data/phpBB2/
# rm -rf install/

the web install says to make sure to remove /install and /contrib, but i
didn't find any /contrib directory in the version of phpbb that installed?
 guess we'll ignore that...