VH> what command are you using exactly? it certainly works here.

The standard ones!  Which has gotten me confused greatly.

Using yours as an example:
-=
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ifconfig bce0.5 create
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Invalid argument
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]#

and playing a bit:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ifconfig bce0.5 create vlandev bce0
ifconfig: must specify a tag for vlan create
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ifconfig bce0.5 create vlandev bce0 vlan 5
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Invalid argument
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ifconfig bce0
bce0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

options=1bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
        ether 00:1e:0b:c7:e1:d0
        inet w.x.y.z netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast w.x.y.z
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseSX <full-duplex>)
        status: active
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]#

-=

I'm wondering if it's because of the bce driver or something along
those lines, and ioctl isn't able to pick up the root device or
something.

The annoying part is that these are new servers/network cards on these
boxes, so I don't have an equivalent FB6.x setup to test against.
(Other boxes running 6.x are working just fine).

R.