Mark Tinguely wrote:
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:47:45 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Apparently Matlab tries to allocate a continuous chunk of memory, and
we needed to upgrade to 64-bit hardware to give it access to more than
1GB of memory, which is about the most that it was able to get before.
It's a lousy explanation, but I wasn't employed at this place when
this diagnosis was made.

Large contiguous allocations have to occur during or soon after booting because
of memory fragmentation.

To the best of my knowledge matlab does not run in the kernel and use contigmalloc() ;-)

User applications in UNIX use *virtual* memory.

Kris