On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

I have one system (7.0) which becomes extremely unstable if I have a USB drive connected. I usually get a system crash in 10 to 30 minutes after mounting the USB drive. It has never crashed without the USB drive attached, and it has never gone for more than three days with it attached. Usually the failure is much sooner. This was with 7.0-RELEASE. I haven't checked since I've moved to 7-STABLE.

I have another system (identical software, different hardware) which is solid as a rock with the identical USB drive attached.

Unfortunately, the crashing system is a small form machine and there is no way to put in a different USB controller. The USB drive was for backups, which I now do over the network to the machine that is working just fine.

That might indicate a cable problem, even just being too long. A line-powered hub added between a problematic USB card reader and computer fixed an unreliable situation here.