I have some servers with IPMI that allow me to have a serial console. I have setup a serial console config on my servers and it seems to work reasonably well in remote emergencies, but causes serious problems if I ever have to use the real console.

It means that I can't use single user mode from the real console and I can't see most boot errors.

Is there a way I can turn off the console redirection from the physical console interactively on startup?

Running FreeBSD 7.

Console config:
barium# cat /boot.config
-DS19200