Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to compile the latest ports of Apache22 with support for
> the worker MPM so that each child process spawns thread. I'd like to
> see if performance improves compared to the prefork model.
>
> Although I checked the "THREADS/Enable threads support in APR" item in
> "make config", the resulting binary says this:

This has nothing to do with enabling worker.

> # pkg_info | grep apache
> apache-2.2.9_3      Version 2.2.x of Apache web server with prefork
> MPM.

apachectl -l will also list the core modules built in at compile time.

> Should I edit the makefile file manually to get worked MPM?

No need. Edit /etc/make.conf. Example from mine:

#For Apache-2.2.9 Build
WITH_MPM=event
WITH_THREADS=yes
WITHOUT_AUTHN_MODULES=yes
WITH_CUSTOM_AUTHZ=authz_host
WITHOUT_DAV_MODULES=yes
WITHOUT_LDAP_MODULES=yes
#WITH_PROXY_MODULES=yes
#WITHOUT_SUEXEC_MODULES=yes
WITH_THREADS_MODULES=yes
WITH_CACHE_MODULES=yes
WITH_SSL_MODULES=yes
WITH_AUTH_MODULES=yes
WITH_MISC_MODULES=yes
WITH_CUSTOM_EXPERIMENTAL=ext_filter

You can still adjust overrides for some of these items in the make config
command, IIRC. It can also be passed on the command line, but I do this so
subsequent portupgrades reproduce the build environment automagically.

Of course, you'll want worker instead of event. I'm just giving event a look
see. One problem is that worker/event mpm is not recommended for use with
mod_php as some pieces of PHP is not thread safe. So running PHP as FastCGI
with mod_fcgid is what I'm currently playing around with for test purposes.
YMMV

-Mike