I have the need to start and use service while in single_user mode. To this point I'm not able to use 'top' or 'ps' respectively. In addition,from the CLI; when I attempt to start services such as 'portmap' and 'sshd' nothing is shown running via 'ps'. All I see are the headers when I issue th 'ps aux' command.

I'm sure its possible to do what I'm attempting, but given the crippled situation of this box, I'm stuck in Single-user mode and need to start enough services that will allow the use of 'scp' in order to move some zipped/crucial files from the crippled box to another machine on the same network.

There are no other options, I need to do this from single-user mode.