Andrew Falanga wrote:

*Not having* a reverse entry for a mail server is often
the cause of issues.

This I do know very well. I had similar problems when running a sendmail backup spooler for Syracuse Networks back in 2000. The eventual solution was that our ISP delegated control of our subnet to us. I'm wondering if something similar must be done on the internal network, i.e. 192.168.2.0/24. Perhaps I shouldn't have eluded to the problems that my clients are experiencing. The real question is, should I configure a sub-domain under whitneybaptist.org for this server and if so, how to set it up?

I'm interested as to why you got this answer to the host query you did. In my original mail, I provided the result of a reverse lookup on that IP address to which I got this response:
[/usr/home/andy]
-> dig +short -x 72.24.34.252
34-252.72-24-cpe.cableone.net.

Using host, on my machine, I get this response:
[/usr/home/andy]
-> host  72.24.34.252
252.34.24.72.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 34-252.72-24-cpe.cableone.net.

Well, interestingly enough:

[30] Sun 07.Sep.2008 DING!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/logs]
host 72.24.34.252
252.34.24.72.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 34-252.72-24-cpe.cableone.net.

So something's changed in the last 12 hours, although I can't
say exactly what.  AFAIK, my DNS boxen and I were communicating
Just Fine(tm) last night as well as this afternoon.

Regardless of the fact that I got a response and you didn't, I'm still not getting the right information. The reverse mapping should be something like:

252.34.24.72.in-addr.arpa PTR mail.whitneybaptist.org.

I may have gotten the syntax wrong as it's been a while since I've had to manipulate BIND name tables.

And the RFC for ESMTP is #2821.

Thanks for the RFC.

Andy

Well, at this point, I'd take the day off, and tomorrow
perhaps have a "dig" at cableone's support ppl, looky here:

[35] Sun 07.Sep.2008 14:03:43
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/logs]
dig 72.24.34.1

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P1 <<>> 72.24.34.1
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;72.24.34.1.                    IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
. 3600 IN SOA A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2008090700 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 222 msec
;; SERVER: 66.76.92.18#53(66.76.92.18)
;; WHEN: Sun Sep  7 14:03:50 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

So, it's obvious they're playing with this zone Right Now(tm),
(more or less) as the SN seems to indicate today.  Possible this
is auto-generated or something, but I think you'll get no joy
on the PTR records until they do something upstream.  As for
your internal net, I don't know much about it, unfortunately.

KDK