Guys,

        This is one of the I've-been-meaning-to-ask questions;
        but other things keep happening that took precedence.  Now
        it's time to ask what are the voodoo commands to set up in my
        ~/.zshrc or other initiation files (probably including my muttrc)
        that will let me print to stdout, characters like the "e-aigu"
        or "u-umlaut" and the currency pound or Euro?

        I keep running into '\240' characters that are likely M$ format
        commands.  Catting a saved file thru Giorgos sed
        's/[^[:print:]]/*/g' {or whatever} resolved that --and other
        such.  But it isn't my main gripe.

        I realize this is probably a complex issue; it's time to work on
        a reasonable solution.

        thanks in advance for all insights,

        gary

--