On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:38:50 -0400, matt donovan wrote
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Christopher Cowart <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Grant Peel wrote:
> > > Just attempting to install the port. Something I noticed when the
install
> > > crapped out was that it wanted me to use the "Force Package Register"
for
> > > the OpenSSL_Overwrite_Base port.
> > >
> > > That port was already installed, what would be the correct method to
deal
> > > with this?
> >
> > I usually only see this error with ports we've written in-house. Usually
> > it happens because the dependency check on a specific file is bad. The
> > check fails, which causes the port to believe it needs to install the
> > dependency, but the package registry gets upset because the package is
> > already installed and it doesn't think it needs to be reinstalled.
> >
> > If these are real ports, you might want to report the brokenness. You'll
> > probably find that you can FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1 and leave it at that
> > (though I typically treat it as a last resort and instead opt for fixing
> > the port).
> >
> > --
> > Chris Cowart
> > Network Technical Lead
> > Network & Infrastructure Services, RSSP-IT
> > UC Berkeley
> >

> I wrote this but gmail default reply is not reply-all
>
> go to the openssl port and run make replace and it should replace
> base but I actually don't really suggest it.
>
>  since I don't really see a need to even from wireshark which I have
> installed without overwriting openssl_base

Matt, Chris,

First off, thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

I am afraid however, that you have completely lost me.

This is not the first time I have installed a port, and the reccommendation
to use 'FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER" has been seen. Unfortunately, I have no idea
what port you guys are suggesting is really broken, is it the
OpenSSL_Overwrite_Base or the one I am trying to install?

If it is the OpenSSL one, can you explain in simple terms how I should deal
with it?

TIA,

-Grant