On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:18:54 -0400, FreeBSD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok but my question was more focusing on the handling of multiple
> installation of the same port by portupgrade. If it's possible to
> install the same port multiple times, how is portupgrade going to deal
> with this?

It's possible to install the same port into differenz directories
using a different prefix. Usually, ports are installed into /usr/local,
including the proper subtrees, such as bin/, lib/ or share/.

NB that it may happen that by forcing another prefix than /usr/local
results in programs using the wrong libs. Furthermore, you need to
specify a different bin/ path to run the application.

Another option would be jails - each port installed and running in
its own jail at the internal standard locations.

But as you may see and already know, it's a bit complicated. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0