Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 12:53:03PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
     I'm getting a lot of messages like this:

Oct  4 14:30:00 hellas kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 250 to
200 packets/sec

Is there some rule I can insert into /etc/pf.conf to reject these apparently
invalid RST packets before they can bother TCP?  At the same time, I do not
want to reject legitimate RST packets.

They're outbound RST packets coming from your box as a result of
incoming packets someone is sending you (possibly an attack).

Proper firewalling rules should help defeat this, but there is no "magic
rule" you can place into pf.conf that will stop this.

If you want a "magic solution", see blackhole(4).

block drop all

looks fairly magical to me.  Stick that at the top of your ruleset as
your default policy, add more specific rules beneath it to allow
the traffic you do want to pass, and Robert is your Mother's Brother.
No more floods of RST packets.

(Actually, I'd recommend always adding a 'log' clause to any rules that
drop packets like so: 'block log drop all'.  Makes running 'tcpdump -i pflog0'
an invaluable debugging aid.)

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3