On Oct 13, 2008, at 14:03, David Kelly wrote:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 01:56:40PM -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:
I am encountering an issue with a new 160 GB PATA drive.  Its being
installed on an old system (Pentium II).  The boot process never
really starts.  It gets in the BIOS to where it checks for drives and
hangs with the message searching for the primary drive on the
channel. Normally I have that disabled because the boot drive is SCSI
but in that situation it just hangs and there are no messages.  This
drive is the only device on the channel and it is jumpered for Master.

I am suspecting that the issue is the drive ATA/100 is not falling
back to ATA/66/33 such that the motherboard can properly detect it.
Seagate does provide a utility to reset the drive back down from ATA/
100 but it requires that the boot get through to run the utility. The
drive works fine in a Mac but the utility won't run there.  I can
continue to search for hardware that can boot with the drive attached
to run the utility or am I chasing my tail here?

Drive:  Seagate ST3160815A

Motherboard:  ASUS P2L97 - Manual says ATA/33 only.

I have had exactly that sort of problem with a 160G Seagate drive on old hardware. And even if it did work it would have only recognized 128G due
to hardware or BIOS limitations.

I could live with that. The drive its replacing is only 60 GB and its less than 10% used.

In the end I swapped an old HD out of another machine that was happy
with the new drive.

A CPU and motherboard that does recognize your ATA100 drive costs less
than the HD. Perhaps its time to upgrade the MB?

Unfortunately the disk was free. MBs are not. I would love to replace the entire system for a number of reasons, but the money just isn't there for that. I'll keep chasing my tail.