On Thursday 23 October 2008, Valentin Bud wrote:

> May i ask a question. Why do you use phpmyadmin from ports?

Mainly to keep life simple [1].

> It
> installs lots of libraries hence possible security threats in the
> future.

Well this particular box is already loaded up with what many would
regard as too much KDE bloatware so most of the libraries would already
be there anyway.

> So instead of
> taking care of updating a bunch of libraries just for phpmyadmin why
> don't you simply download it from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/, put in
> the apache doc
> root, set it up and so you have to take care to update it when a new
> version comes
> out.

Well, providing it works, I'm not too particular about always having the
latest and greatest version but I do want to upgrade if there are any
security fixes and portaudit running from cron does a far better job of
spotting these than if I had to remember to check manually. It was the
a vulnerability reported by portaudit
<http://preview.tinyurl.com/5vkfw6> that prompted me to upgrade
phpMyAdmin when I re-instated the web server on this box.

[1] There are times when this KISS approach falls down. An earlier
portupgrade while I was still running php4 resulted in phpMyAdmin
acquiring a dependency on php5, which it promptly installed alongside
php4 creating quite a bit of chaos in the process.

--
Mike Clarke