I'm looking to buy a new workstation that needs to be able to run in
64-bit (long) mode (working with large data sets). What are my options
for 3D acceleration without binary drivers? My needs are quite minimal,
I'm not running any games.

you actually need 3D accelerator or just fast 2D card?

if second - buy for <<50$ (or get for free) used computer, lowest end pentium will suffice, plug good PCI graphics in it, and make an X terminal to connect to your high-speed computer.

there is one more adventage of it - you may connect more than one :)