On Tuesday 28 October 2008 01:31:16 M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>             Oliver Fromme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> :  > On Friday 24 October 2008 23:20:59 Peter Jeremy wrote:
> :  > > > this will make system trying to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit
> :  > > > program. it can't work
> :  > >
> :  > > rtld shouldn't attempt to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit programs.
> :  >
> :  > The same problem happens with the Linux run time linker - it merrily
> :  > tries to link FreeBSD libraries to Linux binaries with predictable
> :  > results..
> :
> : You *can* link Linux libraries with FreeBSD binaries (and
> : vice versa), if the library does not perform any syscalls,
> : e.g. it is a pure computation library or similar.
> :
> :  > That said it would be really nice if it ignored incompatible libraries
> :  > :)
> :
> : No.  Please don't put such pseudo-cleverness into rtld.
> : It wouldn't be an improvement, in fact it might break some
> : working configurations.
>
> Yes.  I have a bunch of printer drivers that I've used that link in
> linux shared libraries...  They are in ports...

Good point..
The problem is really the Linux linker - it will find a FreeBSD library and
try and use it ahead of a Linux one later in the search path - this prevents
stuff working :)

I have this exact problem with libfontconfig and Xilinx ISE.

Perhaps instead of ignore, use last.. But then it doesn't really matter for
the FreeBSD linker - I imagine I would have to convince Linux folks it's a
good idea.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum