On Oct 29, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
We have just moved offices and our freebsd machine has started complaining in the following terms

Oct 29 17:14:39 int kernel: arplookup ww.xx.yy.zz failed: host is not on local network

We have an external router connected as a dhcp server at 192.168.0.2 which apparently has external address ww.xx.yy.zz. I am using a fixed ip address ie

192.168.0.6

I have this in my rc.conf

defaultrouter="192.168.0.2"
hostname="int.myoffice.com"
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.6  netmask 255.255.255.0"

and have dns mapping int.myoffice.com --> ww.xx.yy.zz,

If you tell the machine that it is int.myoffice.com and you set up DNS which claims that hostname has an external IP, it will be sad because it doesn't know how to reach that IP. You can use DNS split-horizon / views to return the internal IP when the machine asks, or simply keep your external and internal names separate. Ie, set up DNS like:

int.myoffice.com  A  192.168.0.6
ext.myoffice.com  A  ww.xx.yy.zz

Regards,
--