Juri Mianovich wrote:
Clean install of 6.3-RELEASE.

cvsup _only_ ports/x11, ports/x11-wm, ports/x11-servers

Now enter ports/x11/xorg and attempt a 'make install'

The sample /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile states:

# Be sure to ALWAYS cvsup the ports-base collection if you use any of the
# other individual collections below. ports-base is a mandatory collection
# for the ports collection, and your ports may not build correctly if it
# is not kept up to date.

You are probably missing an updated ports-base
Eventually it bombs out with:

===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/pixman-1.pc in
/usr/ports/x11/pixman
Unknown modifier '9'

"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk", line 643: Malformed conditional
(${_USE_GNOME_ALL:Mltverhack:9}=="")
Unknown modifier '9'

Error expanding embedded variable.
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg.

I don't really care why.  I'm sure it's fascinating, whatever it is.  Can I
just get a quick textual fix - some file to edit somewhere that fixes this ?

What _is_ fascinating is that I am the only person _ever_ to attempt cvsup'ing
the x11 portions of the ports tree and then install xorg.  You'd think someone
would have done this before now.

Thanks.

If you only cvsuped those three ports, you have an outdated version of the bsd.gnome.mk file (I checked the recent version and there is no such line). In fact, to avoid any more issues, I would suggest you cvsup the entire tree. If you feel cvsup / csup is slow, try portsnap:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-portsnap.html