Is there a command line tool that will help me figure out where the
problem is?

 I should probably have mentioned that what I currently do is run

        du -h -d0 /

 and gradually work my way down the tree, until I find the
 directory that is hogging disk space. This works, but is not
 exactly efficient.

        "-d0" limits the search to the indicated directory; i.e. what
you can see by doing "ls -al /".  Not superior to "ls -al /" and
using the Mark I eyeball.

sorry... I meant du -h -d1 <directory>

        What (I think) you want is "du -x -h /": infinite depth, but do
not cross filesystem mount-points.  This is still broken in that it
returns a list where the numbers are in a fixed-width fiend which
are visually distinguished only by the last letter.
        Try this:

        du -x /

        and run the resu;ts through "sort":

        sort -nr

        and those results through "head":

        head -n 20

Thanks to everyone that suggested this. A much faster way to find the big offenders

        I have a cron job which does this for /usr and e-mails me the
output every morning.  After a few days, weeks at most, I know what
should be on that list ... and what shouldn't and needs
investigating.

And this is a great proactive measure. Thanks

-- John