On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Neal Hogan <nealho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.bar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> this

> do

> this
> >> >

> >> I discovered a wierd hack to resolve this.  Remove the line(s) from
> >> loader.conf, and create an /etc/rc.local file containing the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> /sbin/kldload /boot/modules/bcmwl5_sys.ko
> >>
> >> That should survive a reboot.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Glen Barber
> >>
> >> "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
> >> learn." - Benjamin Franklin
> >
> > Glen,
> >
> >  I tried your suggestion (which I appreciate) and it did survive
> rebooting.
> > However, bcmwl5_sys.ko was not loaded because there was no ndis
> interface.
> > So, I change the rc.local to
> >
> > /sbin/kldload /boot/kernel/bcmwl5_sys.ko
> >
> > Upon reboot, the system panicked when it loaded the rc.local file.
> >
> > I don't know . . .
> >

> Any additional modules should be placed in /boot/modules, not
> /boot/kernel.  What happens if you manually load the module after the
> system is running?
>

> --
> Glen Barber
>
> "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
> learn." - Benjamin Franklin

Glen,

Well, I never loaded into /boot/modules and at this point I've removed the
*bcmwl5-stuff* to  begin again. Note that *kldload bcmwl5_sys.ko* output
that there was no such file. Below is some info as to what lead to the panic
(it's info I gave in response to another generous fellow on the list).

I have not formally sync'd the system and source. But what I did prior to
the panicking was freshly install 7.0-RELEASE from disc, did not add any
packages, before upgrading to 7.1-RELEASE, using *freebsd-update -r
7.1-RELEASE upgrade && freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE install* I then
installed downloded the ports tree via ftp and added a few packages.

The bcmwl5_sys.ko was generated using *ndisgen /mnt/flash/bcmwl5.inf
/mnt/flash/bcmwl5.sys*  When it came time to make the .ko file, it reported
a syntax error on the last line of the .inf file. I removed that line and
the .ko file was generated.

As far as using the correct driver is concerned . . . my Broadcom card is a
BCM94309, version 4.10.40, in Windows XP Home. I got the driver, with those
specs, from the HP website. The only difference was that my hardware specs
under XP dates the card version as 11/2/2005 and the driver, on the HP site,
is dated 2/17/2006.

Panic info . . . there was not much time to get all of the info before it
reboot and, at this point, I've uninstalled the driver stuff to avoid panic.
I do remember it saying something about a *fatal trap 12*

I hope this was info. you were looking for. Again, thanks for your
consideration.

-Neal

--
www.nealhogan.net