Brian McCann wrote:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Brian McCann <> wrote:
Well this just got a LOT more frustrating and interesting.  I made a
stick following those directions using a new stick...worked fine,
booted off of it...did some work on it...somehow the filesystem got
very corrupted in one of various things I was doing to it (I think it
was when I accidentially unplugged it before running a sync and
umount).  I figured it'd just be easier to start over and build it
again from scratch.  So...I try to newfs it ("newfs -U -L FreeBSDStick
/dev/da1s1a", and newfs fails with "cg 0: bad magic number" .  Now I'm
really getting pissed.  So...I run a dd ("dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1
bs=1m"), and do the whole thing's the console output:

umm# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=1m
dd: /dev/da1: short write on character device
dd: /dev/da1: end of device
3830+0 records in
3829+1 records out
4016045568 bytes transferred in 4324.380202 secs (928699 bytes/sec)
umm# fdisk -BI /dev/da1
******* Working on device /dev/da1 *******
fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
fdisk: Geom not found: "da1"
umm# bsdlabel -B -w da1s1
umm# newfs -U -L FreeBSDStick /dev/da1s1a
/dev/da1s1a: 3827.9MB (7839640 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
       using 21 cylinder groups of 183.77MB, 11761 blks, 23552 inodes.
       with soft updates
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
 160, 376512, 752864, 1129216, 1505568, 1881920, 2258272, 2634624,
3010976, 3387328, 3763680, 4140032, 4516384, 4892736,
 5269088, 5645440, 6021792, 6398144, 6774496, 7150848, 7527200
cg 0: bad magic number

So now I'm getting seriously ticked off.  Anyone have any ideas what
the heck could be causing this?  This thumb drive was working fine
with FreeBSD!  I'm trying a dd on a thumb drive w/o specifying a block
size / BS...we'll see what that does...but I'm still open to
suggestions since I'm just about out of ideas.


To the list of things tried...add formatting the USB stick with the
HDD Low Level Format Tool
 Still no joy...

For those following along at home, I found the cause of my problems.
It apparently all came down to the machine I was making the stick on.
Any machine that had an Intel SCB2 motherboard in it, would screw it
up.  I switched to using a different & newer machine, re-did the
directions at
, and all my problems with it went away.  YAY!!!

Thanks to all those who provided input.  Long live FreeBSD!

Your link to the instructions is dead.
_______________________________________________ mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to ""

Reply via email to