Some of the programs will not run after rehash or even when given the
precise path to the program. System doesn't "see" several but not all
programs. I've upgraded several servers (using source files -- cvsup)
withoug any such problem. It's just this one machine.

BTW2: Yes, I do know this isn't windows and doesn't have a "registry" per
se in that regard, but "something" does keep track of the programs

package manages has it's database in /var/db/pkg

but it's COMPLETELY different that registry. it only keep track of package files etc.

installed and I've never located that place/file/db not having a crucial
reason to before.