Valentin Bud wrote:

> I noticed that it is already at 1GB. Now my problem is how can i avoid this
> in the future because
> on that production server mysql is crucial or in case it happens how ca I be
> the first to know
> of that problem?

If you examine the mysql-server script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d you'll see
it supports the "mysql_limits" option for rc.conf. Set
mysql_limits="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and the server start with removed limits.

You can increase maxdsiz (which is different than limits) by adding a
line to loader.conf, something like:

kern.maxdsiz=2GB
kern.dfldsiz=2GB

Note that you can't increase it to more than 3 GB on i386.

Another thing is that mysql shouldn't take infinite amounts of memory to
work. You need to configure entries in my.cnf to match your limits and
maxdsiz (in steady state + estimated spikes).