Paul B. Mahol wrote:

On 2/27/09, Grzegorz Junka <c...@gjunka.com> wrote:
Hi,
I hope someone will be able to help with this. I've already checked all
resources I could google but still can't get it to work. Basically my
terminal can show more than 16 colors but emacs doesn't want to use
these colors.

I run FreeBSD (7.1-RELEASE) as a virtual machine and use it without any
X interface, only through ssh from a Windows machine (the host). I have
set up both putty and ssh in cygwin to report term type as
'xterm-256color' (putty in the configuration window and xterm using -tn
command line parameter).

That part works fine because I can run scripts available on the internet
(256colors2.pl, colortest), which surely show more than 8 colors in my
terminal window. The problem is when I run emacs and type: M-x
list-colors-display. Emacs shows only boring 8 colors (not even 16).

A bit about my configuration. Emacs was compiled without X11 support
(from ports emacs-nox11-22.3). I also don't have xterm installed. I
tried to set env variable TERM=xterm-256color but it didn't help. There
is a special note about using terms in emacs in
"/usr/local/share/emacs/22.3/lisp/term/README" I unpacked xterm.el.gz
from that folder and tried to supply it as term/xterm-256color.el or
term/xterm.el to emacs, but that also didn't work.

It is interesting to note, that when I type: tput color I get different
values depending on the user and terminal:

user grzesiu, putty, TERM=xterm-256color, tput colors: 114
the same user, putty and TERM value, but tput colors: 123, another trial
and output is 80
user root, putty, TERM=xterm, tput colors: 184
the same user and putty, but TERM=xterm-256color, tput colors: 115
user grzesiu, ssh from cygwin, TERM=xterm-256color, tput colors: 139

I don't understand these values because when I run these scripts above I
don't see any difference in colors shown (subjectively). In neither of
these configurations emacs show more than 8 colors. Any ideas or
suggestions greatly appreciated.

This looks like emacs problem. Are you sure that emacs was compiled
with 256 color support? (at least I know that elinks can be configured
to support 88 and/or 256 and/or real colors)
Also is there some kind of termcap option in emacs to be changed/read?
I dont use emacs but in vim:
:set t_Co=256
will show 256 colors if terminal supports it.
Actually if t_Co termcap setting is N, vim will not try to show more
than N colors even if terminal supports X(>N) colors.

FreeBSD port doesn't allow to configure Emacs in any way, neither from the original port, nor from the nox11 version. I don't think there is any special option for emacs to show 256 colors. Wherever I could find some information about this, people were saying that Emacs version >=22 supports 256 colors without any additional configuration. As I mentioned, Emacs not only doesn't show 256 colors, but not even 16, which I bet should be supported without any problems. No matter what I get only 8 colors, even if terminal is able to shows much much more.

Another strange thing is that as far as I can see xterm-256color in FreeBSD termcap is simply an alias to xterm. Nevertheless, with these scripts mentioned above I can view more than 16 colors even if TERM is defined only as xterm.

Do you think I should report it as a defect in emacs ports?
Greg