I'm trying to implement SSO using Samba-3.2.4 with an LDAP backend. The intent is to use ldap directly for FBSD clients and Samba for MS Windows clients.

The LDAP server (openldap 2.4.11) is running on a FBSD 6.3 server and is setup and seems to be working fine, I can log in locally or through SSH using the ldap accounts.

I'm working on the first client which is a FBSD 7.1 machine. I can use ldap to login on this machine, but I'm having issues with logging in using kdm. I can see all the users both from local files and from ldap, but I can't log in using either. Even when kdm won't allow a login, I can <ctrl><alt><F8> and get a normal login shell and login with local or ldap accounts. The ldap lines are included in my /etc/pam.d/kde file.

If I remove ldap from the nsswitch.conf file it will start working with local logins on kdm again.

I ran into a bug report from last summer that appears to still be open with exactly the same issue (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=124321).

Does anyone know a workaround or have a patch for the issue? I can provide config files and such if anyone thinks it might help.

Thanks,
Joe.