Charles Howse wrote:

On Mar 19, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Adam Vandemore wrote:

freebsd-update is another matter though. Base system security updates are distributed via that channel(binary updates) so it's a good idea to run that regularly.

I just noticed the description in the man page for freebsd-update:

..."Note that updates are only available if they are being built for the FreeBSD release and architecture being used; in particular, the FreeBSD Security Team only builds updates for releases shipped in binary form by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team, e.g., FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and FreeBSD 6.2-RC1, but not FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE or FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT."
Is this saying that I can't get a binary upgrade for 6.4-STABLE?
(You would not believe how long the make world process takes on a Pentium 200!!)

Not that it's going to help a tremendous amount but a

make -j 2 buildworld

may help a bit. There's also some tips on the handbook page for speeding up the process. It would still be a long wait even if you used every optimization technique available.

IIRC 2 jobs per core is the optimum level, and building system sources is the only place I've had any with multiple jobs. Multiple jobs w/ gmake under FBSD is basically worthless in my experience and even with BSD make's -B flag results not good.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator