Greetings,

Is there a general how-to, or a set of coherent instructions, for shaping outbound traffic such that when I upload something over my asymmetric cable-modem pipe, doing so doesn't completely kill my Web browsing or any other attempts to use my Internet connection?

(To put it another way: When I max out my upstream, and my upstream is capped lower than my downstream, my downstream becomes useless and I am forced to wait until the upload finishes before I can resume using the downstream. This is a problem, and I'd like to solve it.)

I have looked at various ALTQ + pf setups on the Web, but I have one caveat. I use FreeBSD 6.4 on my home gateway, and it is also using the default natd server, which relies on an ipfw divert rule. I don't know if this matters, or if I need to switch from natd to a pf-based NAT setup.

Should I use *just* ipfw, or should I switch everything to pf (including NAT services) and go from there?

Thanks much,

Jubal