CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
> Morgan Wesström wrote:
>> Jubal Kessler wrote:
>>> (To put it another way: When I max out my upstream, and my upstream is
>>> capped lower than my downstream, my downstream becomes useless and I am
>>> forced to wait until the upload finishes before I can resume using the
>>> downstream. This is a problem, and I'd like to solve it.)
>> This is exactly the reason why I built my own router several years ago.
>
> I have done the same with PF and AltQ for the past few years. It is so
> effective on my 1536/384 ADSL that I now have the opposite problem: a
> large download will lag both downloads and uploads. Sadly, this is a
> more difficult issue to tackle without full access to hardware at both
> ends of the slow link.

Yes, I have noticed that too. Some discussions I've seen suggest that
you add a queue on your internal interface too and limit the bandwidth
entering your LAN. This will drop packets and TCP is supposed to
renegotiate transmission windows then and make the upstream server send
data slower and not saturate your download. I'm no expert in the gritty
technical details and I haven't tried this myself but it might be worth
experimenting with.
/Morgan