On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 09:50:27PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:

> > > cat mp3files|rsh -l username remote.computer.name "mpg123 -"
> >
> >     Well, that's simple enough:) plus being pretty sharp because it
> >     works.  "mplayer -" works from the cmd line but tries and fails
> >     to seek backward to the origin.
>
> Have you looked at audio/xmms2? It uses a client/server model but is
> audio only. [http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Main_Page]
>
> Other possibilities is a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) server and
> clients. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers]
>
> Some modern stereo equipment (e.g. Philips Streamium) has ethernet/WiFi
> capability and can play material from a UPnP media server. So you could
> have your music/video library on a server, with your stereo playing
> music from that library over a wireless link. Cool eh?
>
> I'm not sure if these things fall in the "simple" category, though. :-)
> Especially if there's wifi involved as well.

        Wow.  No wifi yet; still have a maze of cables.  My stereo stuff
        in from the last century:-) but it's nice to know that the newer
        equipment has ethernet capabilities.  Be great to have some
        utimate setup (*sigh...*).  For now, what Wojciech suggested
        works, but since most of my ~/Music files are ogg format, mpg123
        may not be sufficient.

        ``locate xmms2'' found audio/gxmms2; under construction!

        T.Y.

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix