On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:01:42PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:54:06 -0700, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:
> > Be great to have some
> >     utimate setup (*sigh...*).
>
> You'll never have. At the moment you've setup something, just
> after bringing it home from the shop, it will be considered
> outdated, and there's already something new on the way that's
> completely incompatible with everything you have. :-)
>

> > For now, what Wojciech suggested
> >     works, but since most of my ~/Music files are ogg format, mpg123
> >     may not be sufficient.
>
> How about ogg123 then? Same use.
>
>       % cat oggfiles | rsh -l username remote.computer.name "ogg123 -"
>

> >     ``locate xmms2'' found audio/gxmms2; under construction!
>
> Check /usr/ports/audio/xmms2, found out by
>
>       % cd /usr/ports
>       % make search name=xmms2

        I thought you were kidding about the ogg123, but no! Is there a
        wav123, an au123, &c? :_)  wait, I just checked and there *is* a
        flac123.  ....  i'll be [bleeped].

        ANyway, re xmms2, it's built (I had it but since there was no
        front end and since i really didn't want to spejnt days messing
        with it, I never used it.  I've got gxmms2 working on my linux
        desktopk, but it only works locally.  How do I use [gx]mms2
        to go over the wire to the audio-server I'm building, show me the
        playlist here and play thru my better speakers?

        I had imagined something like:

        %  xmms2 -r zen:/home/kline/Music/

        where the -r would indicate "remote" ...

 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 2.41a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php