Wojciech Puchar wrote:

PC-BSD        ===>    http://www.pcbsd.org/
DesktopBSD    ===>    http://www.desktopbsd.net/

And PC-BSD even provides an installer (PBI) that makes "Windows"
users feel at home: Download something from the web manually,
then click "next, next, next, finish" and have an application
installed. :-)

even more - it's even as slow and messy as windows. no idea about stability - possibly it's better.

personally - i've tried once PC-BSD, removed it one hour after installing.

It's certainly not slow and messy here. I installed PCBSD a couple of months ago after a few years of rolling my own desktop and I love it. On reasonable spec hardware it runs very well, the developers have done an excellent job and it's really come of age recently. I now spend almost zero time maintaining and tweaking my computer (apart from from some laptop acpi teething troubles). I used to keep Windows XP handy for a diminishing number of things, now it is truly redundant.

It's personal choice not a hard and fast rule. Everyone has different circumstances. If I was using old hardware, as I think you do, I would probably think differently but on this 2GHz 1GB ram machine it's great, and I still have FreeBSD underneath to play with if I want.

Chris