Glen Barber skrev:
Hello, list.

Before I pose my question, I am not intending to start a flame-war of
any sort -- I'm just searching for "different" ways of doing things.

With so many different version control systems available (aside from
the traditional "keep current backups" solution), I am curious:

Q:  What is *your* favorite/suggestion solution to keep (working)
versions of configuration files, in case something goes awry?

I am specifically targeting configuration files because they are what
I change the most, in avoidance of "It worked 10 minutes ago..."
situations.

Cheers,

Hi Glen,

For local configuration files there's a tool called rcs that can be used for tracking changes and rollback.

It's a part of the FreeBSD base system. Check the man pages for rcs(1) ci(1) co(1) rcsdiff(1) and rcsintro(1) - rcsintro(1) is probably where you want to start.

It's also available on other *nix systems like AIX, Red Hat, Solaris etc.

/R