On Tuesday 31 March 2009 03:08:14 pm Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
>    I am rebuilding ports and realize that i have too many input/video
> drivers for x-win installed. i know i need nv driver since my graphic
> card is from nvidia, and i want to deinstall all others. but i am not
> sure if its safe to do so, e.g. i am confused by "xf86-video-chips"
> since i don't know what kind of "chip" that stands for. can someone
> tell me which are basics and which are safe to remove? thanks!!

Obviously you should keep mouse, keyboard and whatever driver(s) you
actually plan to use (nv in this case). It's also a good idea to keep
vesa as a fallback option. I habitually also keep the dummy driver though
I'm not sure what it's used for. Everything else is fair game and should
be safe to remove. "Chips" is (or was) a video card vendor so if you
don't have such a card it's safe to remove as well.

JN