John Nielsen wrote:
On Tuesday 31 March 2009 03:08:14 pm Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
   I am rebuilding ports and realize that i have too many input/video
drivers for x-win installed. i know i need nv driver since my graphic
card is from nvidia, and i want to deinstall all others. but i am not
sure if its safe to do so, e.g. i am confused by "xf86-video-chips"
since i don't know what kind of "chip" that stands for. can someone
tell me which are basics and which are safe to remove? thanks!!

Obviously you should keep mouse, keyboard and whatever driver(s) you actually plan to use (nv in this case). It's also a good idea to keep vesa as a fallback option. I habitually also keep the dummy driver though I'm not sure what it's used for. Everything else is fair game and should be safe to remove. "Chips" is (or was) a video card vendor so if you don't have such a card it's safe to remove as well.

JN

also, once you removed/kept what you want, don't forget to reinstall xorg-drivers port (meta-port). i think you get complains about missing dependencies otherwise. (rebuild xorg-drivers with just the drivers you want)