On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:58:46PM -0600, Modulok wrote:
> List,
>
> I'm looking for a confirmation on the order:  When setting up a (root
> partiton) gmirror+geli, what is the propper order? e.g: gmirror the
> disks and THEN initialize geli on the /dev/mirror partitions? Is this
> correct?

That works. I tried it.

But it felt slow. So I dropped the mirroring, and used
rsync running from a cron job at night to keep the primary and secondary
disks (with encrypted partitions) in sync.

This has a downside that my backup can be up to 24 hours out of date,
but as a plus it provides me with an up to 24 hour window to recover
accidentally deleted files. from the second disk. :-) It's a good
tradeoff, IMO.

Roland