In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> And _always_ back up /etc before running mergemaster.  It only has to
> save you from a stupid mistake 1 time to be worth it! (I know)

This has worked so well for me, I'm going to suggest it to everyone
here.

Don't back up /etc. Store the files you modify in a source code
control system. Use rcs, as that's part of the base system. Use cvs if
you prefer it. Personally, I use perforce. That means you have backups
of all the files you've changed. It also means you can get change
histories for the files. It beats the dickens out of umpteen files
called foo-back, foo-old, and etc. It works better than dated backups
as well.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html